.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

In the Midst of the Valley

Picture courtesy of PD Photo

In the Midst of the Valley is about being in the midst of so much stuff it's hard to see the sky. Ever feel like that? What we don't realize, sometimes, is that there are incredible treasures to be found in the valley! This blog was started because I beleive that the greatest potential for spiritual growth is in the valley - not on the mountain top. These are lessons God has taught me as I go through the valley season of my life. May He use them to minister to you. Mike

Thursday, July 27, 2006

Junk in Our Trunk - Part 1

As some of you know, I love to read good books. If they don't keep my attention, then I usually don't finish them. Me and my A.D.D. :)

I recently finished a book by John Ortberg entitled God is Closer than You Think. It's very good. Check it out. I'm now reading another of John's books called Everybody's Normal Till You Get to Know Them. In it he discusses our need for true community. I've just begun, so I'm not too far into it.

Though I've just started, something he writes about in the first chapter really rang a bell within me. And in light of my post yesterday [click here], it really supports my heart for the church to get real and get honest.

In the first chapter he refers to Isaiah 53:6 - We all, like sheep, have gone astray. . .

Know what this means? It reminds us, or at least me anyway, that we ALL have messed up. We've lied, we've gossipped and forwarded rumors like a hot email message, we've been disobedient, and can you believe this - we've all made wrong choices at some point in our lives. The list goes on, but you get the point. Want to know what we do with our junk - we tuck it away in our trunks, thinking no one can see it and walk around, dragging all this junk with us, pointing out everyone else's junk. It means that we often think better of ourselves by pointing out everyone else's junk and holding it against them - family, friends, former friends, neighbors, co-workers, ministers, etc. HOW DARE US!! Who do we think we are? When in fact, we all have fallen short of God's standard (Romans 3:23) and all need God's grace.

I often wonder why more people don't come to our churches? I think I have found the answer - we don't like, or better yet, love each other, how in the world will we love those outside the church?

Mike

2 Comments:

At 7/27/2006 10:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amen my brother!

 
At 7/28/2006 7:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The following are the words to the song "123 praise" by Virtue. Read these words with a funky bass beat and bobbing your head. The thing is, with the joy God has given us, why shouldn't we be praising Him ALL the time! We act a fool during sporting events (I know I do), He is worthy of MORE. Praise and Prayer take the focus off distractions, strongholds, gossip, and hard hearts. Its tough, but God is a BIG God, and He is in the bussiness of blessing obediance and taking care of details.

I said, hey YOU, we goin switch styles, cuz aint nothing with dancing awhile, cuz we be gettin down praisein him all the while, and we can't stop until somebody shouts, hey whether there's two or three in this place, there's just enough to give him praise, so when i tell you to lift your hands act a fool
Everybody tell somebody, were goin to party so lets get started, 123 praise, 123 praise, everybody tell somebody, were going to start this party, 123 praise, 123 praise!
Its time for a praise party, we aint hatin nobody, lift your hands understand what were here for, clap your hands understand what were here for, if you know he's worthy, go ahead and give him glory, lift your hands understand what were here for, clap your hands understand what were here for.
Hey you get out of my way, ive been tryin to give praise all day, so if you aint tryna do it, just let me know, cuz i can do by myself thats for sure, oooh and thats my word, all need to prise and his word, and i dont care whos lookin at me, cuz God is good and he's good to me!
Everybody tell somebody, were goin to party so lets get started, 123 praise, 123 praise, everybody tell somebody, were going to start this party, 123 praise, 123 praise!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home