.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

In the Midst of the Valley

Picture courtesy of PD Photo

In the Midst of the Valley is about being in the midst of so much stuff it's hard to see the sky. Ever feel like that? What we don't realize, sometimes, is that there are incredible treasures to be found in the valley! This blog was started because I beleive that the greatest potential for spiritual growth is in the valley - not on the mountain top. These are lessons God has taught me as I go through the valley season of my life. May He use them to minister to you. Mike

Wednesday, July 26, 2006

God's Grace. . .Where's Ours?

" 'Return, faithless Israel,' declares the LORD,
'I will frown on you no longer,
for I am merciful,' declares the LORD,
'I will not be angry forever.' " - Jeremiah 3:11

As I read Jeremiah 3 this morning this verse jumped out at me. It seems that God has been challenging me about the state of the church's heart. As I read this I kept thinking how unmerciful and how ungracious we can be to each other. I know it's part of our DNA - our flesh - and I know how often I give into my flesh, but come on!! When does it change? Isn't it supposed to change when we become a child of God?

It appears God is way more merciful that we are - yes, I know He's God and we're not. Earlier in chapter 3 God called Judah a prostitute for taking their worship and needs to foreign gods, and yet, it's God who declares, "I will frown on you no longer, for I am merciful." He is going the take them back, no longer be angry with them, not hold it against them, and extend grace to them. They may not deserve it, but inspite of everything they've done to God, He decides to take them back them anyway.

Why can't we do that to one another? Why can't we forget the past? Why do we allow petty issues or disputes to come between us? Why are we not extenders of grace? If we are to be reflections of God's presence, then why are we not reflections of God's grace and mercy? Why do we ostrecize people who don't agree with us and treat them like outcasts? Why do we judge and condemn them just because they are different or their convictions are different?

Why, O God, do we think more highly of ourselves? Where is your presence among your people, my Lord? Why do we judge and condemn when your Word clearly states were are not to judge one another (James 4:11-12)?

If there is one thing I think is keeping God's church from being the church He envisioned is the hardness of our hearts toward each other and outsiders - or those not like us.

Father, come and call us back to our first love - you and you alone! Soften hardened hearts. My your love and grace abound among your people. May we be conductors of your mercy toward each other.

May I be an extender of your grace, love, and mercy toward those you place in my path.

Hey flock - for once, let's love each other instead of beating each other up and hurting one another. For Jesus, himself, said that the world will know that we are His followers by our love for each other (John 13:35).

Mike

1 Comments:

At 7/26/2006 10:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

AMEN!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home