.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

In the Midst of the Valley

Picture courtesy of PD Photo

In the Midst of the Valley is about being in the midst of so much stuff it's hard to see the sky. Ever feel like that? What we don't realize, sometimes, is that there are incredible treasures to be found in the valley! This blog was started because I beleive that the greatest potential for spiritual growth is in the valley - not on the mountain top. These are lessons God has taught me as I go through the valley season of my life. May He use them to minister to you. Mike

Monday, August 07, 2006

The "Why?" Question

I have been told that I'm not supposed to ask the "Why?" question. I've never understood that line of thought. I think it has something to do with faith and trusting God - like if I ask I don't trust God or something. And to be honest, I usually hear it from people who have never been through very deep valleys - Bless their heart (people from Alabama will understand). Then I ran across Jeremiah 15:18.

Why then does my suffering continue? Why is my wound so incurable?

Here, Jeremiah asks the "Why?" questions. Oopps. Nobody told good ol' Jeremiah he wasn't supposed to ask the "Why?" questions. Uh-oh. Wait a minute, God didn't stike him down! As a matter of fact God continues to have a discussion with him - He answers Jeremiah!

Oh my, so what do we do now?

How about if we say it's ok to ask the "Why?" questions, without expecting God to answer? I think this would be more the case. In Jeremiah 15, Jeremiah asked and God answered. See I don't think God minds if we ask such questions, but I also don't believe God owes us an answer. It's His right, or privilege, as sovereign God to refuse.

I wonder why we think we have to know the "Why?". Why do we need the what, the how, there where and when? Why don't we simply accept things and live in obedience? I think part of it is our nature. We want to know. Not so much for curiosity sake, but for our own comfort.

I think the unknown scares us. It does me. That's why I beg and plead for God to give me signs and confirmations - I want to know. And it's not that I'm afraid so much as I'm uncomfortable with the unknown; it stretches and grows my faith - that's good; I don't always handle it so well - that's bad.

So, I'm probably going to continue to ask God questions, even the "Why?" question. I will also accept God's choice to answer or not.

Are you in the valley? Go ahead and ask away - Oh, even the "Why?" questions. Don't hold back. God is so much bigger than your desire to know. He's so much bigger than the questions you ask. He can handle it. He's been doing it for years. He's an ol' hand it taking questions. Now, don't be surprised if He doesn't answer right away. That's His choice. Simply be obedient, be found faithful, and trust God for the details.

Hey flock - give valley experiencers a break, at least until you're in our valley with us. We may need to ask questions. It's ok - it's in the Bible!! Just be there to listen, encourage and pray for us. Sometimes that's all we need and it goes way beyond what you can imagine.

Asking the Abba [no not the group ;) ]
Mike

4 Comments:

At 8/07/2006 7:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Proud of you! Praying for you! P

Joshua 3 I will give you every place where you set your foot, as I promised Moses. 4 Your territory will extend from the desert to Lebanon, and from the great river, the Euphrates--all the Hittite country--to the Great Sea on the west. 5 No one will be able to stand up against you all the days of your life. As I was with Moses, so I will be with you; I will never leave you nor forsake you. 6 "Be strong and courageous, because you will lead these people to inherit the land I swore to their forefathers to give them. 7 Be strong and very courageous. Be careful to obey all the law my servant Moses gave you; do not turn from it to the right or to the left, that you may be successful wherever you go. 8 Do not let this Book of the Law depart from your mouth; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful. 9 Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go."

 
At 8/07/2006 12:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ever heard the song "I Wonder Why" by 4Him? Trust me, anyone who has ever been in a true valley has asked God that very question. Get the CD, listen, and just pour your heart out to the only One with the answer. Know that you are being prayed for right at this very moment.

 
At 8/07/2006 6:26 PM, Blogger kris said...

i absolutely agree w/ everything you've said. lemme' offer another thought that i guess i learned when Jeff was sick.

i remember people saying to me 'why did this happen to you guys, to Jeff ...' -- and my immediate response was 'why not'?

i really feel like that was a gift from the Lord -- to, as you said, accept and obey. we are not promised a life free from pain, trial and suffering. yeah -- it's hard to look around and not see everyone else dealing with such difficulties as we may find ourselves. but, it is what it is.

It is no surprise to God. That is why He sent Jesus to eradicate death - and the Holy Spirit to comfort us - not to eliminate our pain.

terrible things have happened to innocent people since the fall of man. why should they NOT happen to me ...?

i'm so thankful for a God who loves me enough to give me glimpses of His glory during my darkest moments.

good post, Mike ....

 
At 8/07/2006 9:30 PM, Blogger MikeS said...

Anonymous 1

Thanks for the prayers and the verse. Great passage for valley experiencers.

*****************
Anonymmous 2

Good song. And you're right. Just about anyone who's had real valley experiences has probably asked the "Why?" question.

And thanks for the prayers.

******************
Kris

Thanks for sharing a lesson from your personal valley. I remember that time. I didn't get it either - at that time. Do now

Sometimes, I think, we forget that it's in the darkest times of our lives that God's light shines the brightest.

Thanks for the comment.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home