.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

In the Midst of the Valley

Picture courtesy of PD Photo

In the Midst of the Valley is about being in the midst of so much stuff it's hard to see the sky. Ever feel like that? What we don't realize, sometimes, is that there are incredible treasures to be found in the valley! This blog was started because I beleive that the greatest potential for spiritual growth is in the valley - not on the mountain top. These are lessons God has taught me as I go through the valley season of my life. May He use them to minister to you. Mike

Tuesday, August 01, 2006

God and Dog Food

I woke up this morning somewhat irritated by the fact that Sadie (female black lab) had been barking for the last hour. I knew before I finally got up that she was barking for one of three reasons:
  1. She was gaurding her food and the one of the other dogs was looking at her
  2. One of the other dogs was in her way and wouldn't let her pass by
  3. They had found some stray food and she wanted it.
Just as I opened the door to their room to confirm the commotion she and Dakota (female German Shepherd) got into it. I'm not talking about "stop pushing me" getting into it. I'm talking "I'm gonna kick your butt" getting into it. They jumped on each other and it was on.

WELL!! That sent me straight over the edge. I started screaming and hollering and pushing them out the back door into the backyard, reminding them that I am the boss - not either of them!! I shut the door behind them and started picking up their food from last night.

Side Note: My male dog, Mix, wasn't all that innocent. He's the reason there were 4 or 5 pieces of dog food on the floor. He likes to push all the food out of the bowls and all over the floor while he's eating. Then he looks for another bowl of food to spread out Mix-style.

Oh, by the way, they had to spend the morning outside. . .well, at least until I was about to get ready for work.

I found out they were fighting over 4 or 5 pieces of dog food. That wouldn't be so bad, except for the fact that there was entire bowl of food at the other end of the room. Here Dakota and Sadie got into it over morsels when way more was waiting for either one of them. If only one of them would have taken the time to look around.

I think we're a lot like Sadie and Dakota sometimes. We argue and fight and cuss and discuss over morsels of God's blessings when He has som much more for us. All we have to do is look around. . .try something different. . .look into a new place.

Experiencing all God has for us isn't always where we think it is.

Are you struggling. . .look around, there are more blessings that you can ever imagine. God's blessing for you may not be where you're looking or where you want. His blessings may be somewhere else. Step back, ask God to point you in another direction and look for his blessings.

You know, dog food's not that bad,
Mike

3 Comments:

At 8/01/2006 1:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sometimes, ok almost always, it is very hard for me to see the BIG picture. I just do, and ponder/reflect on it later, maybe. I would have to step back, RELAX, for a few days before the lighbulb would click. Any suggestions? Too wound up like an 8 day clock huh?
p.s. although dog food IS nutritious, it does NOT taste good.

 
At 8/02/2006 6:19 AM, Blogger kris said...

word ... why do we settle for the 4-5 pieces when there's a bowl-full just beyond...? we're really not all that bright, are we ... :)

 
At 8/02/2006 10:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

aaaaaahhhhhhhhhh! lightbulb!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home