.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

In the Midst of the Valley

Picture courtesy of PD Photo

In the Midst of the Valley is about being in the midst of so much stuff it's hard to see the sky. Ever feel like that? What we don't realize, sometimes, is that there are incredible treasures to be found in the valley! This blog was started because I beleive that the greatest potential for spiritual growth is in the valley - not on the mountain top. These are lessons God has taught me as I go through the valley season of my life. May He use them to minister to you. Mike

Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Rest

Are you one of those people who come home and think you just HAVE to do something? You know what I mean. You can't sit and relax. You feel as though you must stay busy? Karen was one of THOSE people. She would literally work herself to sleep at night. I used to kid her that she would look at her to-do list for the week and get that done on Monday night. On Tuesday night she would do the next week's stuff. Anyway. . .I think you get the picture.

And yes, by the use of the term "THOSE people" I mean I am NOT that kind of person. I'm one of those who like to shut down for a short period when I come home. Then, if I feel the need, and usually I don't unless it's something I have been putting off to the last minute and now's the last minute, I might do something.

In spite of my unique personality quirks, I have been in a form of transition - I guess you could call it that. Now I'm not blaming Karen, but part of me doesn't do stuff because Karen did enough for me, her, and several other families - so if you've noticed some changes in your wife, husband, and/or children it could be that Karen's not doing their stuff anymore. Now I have to do the stuff - pay bills, take care of the yard - including watering, making sure the animals are well and fed, cleaning house, fixing things, yadda . . .yadda . . .yadda.

And . . .oh yeah . . . I'm learning to become a morning person!!

Alrighty then . . . with all that said I am also learning to rest. I don't mean shut down and veg in front of the TV. I mean I'm learning to get in my bed, close my eyes, and nap. That's right, I'm learning to nap. I've never been much of a napper before, but I'm also learning that I only have so much energy - I mean with my age and all. And if I give all that energy to the Lord at the church planning, studying, investing in relationships, then I'm zapped when I come home.

I understand that I don't have the family responsibilities I know some of you have - children, spouse. But, if you knew me, you would also know I would trade you for either in a heartbeat.

But I also know that I'm learning to rest in the Lord. Sometimes I just lay there and pray. I lift up requests I get via email from some of you. I pray for our church. I pray for our leadership. I pray for needs of people I know. I pray for lost people I know. I pray for families who need to be changed through God's transformational power. I . . . pray and I rest.

I was thinking about this today. And God reminded me of Psalm 23:2

He makes me lie down in green pastures,
he leads me beside quiet waters,

Yeah, I get to nap. Never been much of a napper before. I'm also a pray-er. Not been much of a pray-er before, either. In either case I feel like I'm learning the meaing of this verse. God provides the green pastures and quiet, still waters for me to rest - to recuperate. It's what works for me.

How does your valley suck you dry? Honestly, you don't have to be in a valley for life to drain you of every ounce of energy. So how does life drain you? Fincances? Kids? Job? People - this can be huge if you're not careful? A situation you're having to deal with? Spouse? Expectations - of others and of yourself? So, what drains you?

Now. . . how do you recoup? What do you need to do to get the energy back? What works for you? I would suggest -
  1. A gaurded, consistant time with God - His word & prayer (no matter what else you do, you must have this one)
  2. Journaling - writing helps me organize my thoughts so they aren't overwhelming me - remember I'm A.D.D.
  3. Solitude - get alone somehow - take a warm bubble bath, find some time early time in the morning, how about uncluttering the calendar(I did this Saturday and rode my Harley - did wonders for me), take a walk, get out in nature
  4. Get some rest - you're body can only handle some much, at some point it will shut down - I can attest to that, it also affects you emotional, mental, and spiritual states as well
  5. Hang with a friend - find someone who you trust and respects you, but is not impressed by you - I have a couple of those and they are incredible blessings to me
You may be able to think of some other ways, but you do need some "green pastures and still waters" time in you life.

Flock - if you know someone who needs this time, you can help -
  1. Watch kids - (a couple of hours or even for a night) it will go a long way
  2. Take them out for coffee - Starbucks is always a good choice, but any local coffee shop will do
  3. Take them out to a movie - make sure it's not sappy and will make them cry, find something funny and uplifting - ok chick-flicks works for the ladies, but guys . . . c'mon
  4. Encourage them to find some time to get alone and get some rest - they may not even know they need it
  5. Love 'em - most of all, just love 'em
Hope this helps. God laid this on my heart this afternoon, so I'm thinking there are somenone out there who need this. GO FOR IT!!! And get some rest.

Mike

1 Comments:

At 8/17/2006 4:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

AMEN! I especially think it is wise to have #1 above ALL, that's a great one! P

 

Post a Comment

<< Home