.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

In the Midst of the Valley

Picture courtesy of PD Photo

In the Midst of the Valley is about being in the midst of so much stuff it's hard to see the sky. Ever feel like that? What we don't realize, sometimes, is that there are incredible treasures to be found in the valley! This blog was started because I beleive that the greatest potential for spiritual growth is in the valley - not on the mountain top. These are lessons God has taught me as I go through the valley season of my life. May He use them to minister to you. Mike

Saturday, August 12, 2006

A Bush or a Tree?

Growing up, literally, around the world I have had the opportunity to see so many different kinds of plants. I remember living in the Philippines - we had this really big banana tree in our yard and real coconut trees around . I do remember eating fresh coconut right off of the tree. That was cool.

Living in Italy gave me the chance to see beautiful olive and grape orchards spread out over the countryside. Living in San Diego, California I was blessed to see so many gorgeous plants - some of which my Grandfather grew - roses, birds of paradise, and so many others.

Living in Texas - well living in Texas allows one to see the spectrum. In west Texas nothing really grows above 3 feet because of the wind and lack of rain. That's why you get tumble weeds. Their roots aren't very strong so they are easily uprooted and blown across the landscape by the strong winds. Yet you go to east Texas and you'll find grand oaks, magnolias, and sky-high pines. It's the only place on earth where I think you can hear the wind, but never feel it!

In Jeremiah 17 these verses came to me to remind me that I'm to be like a tree with deep roots, like one planted near the water that continues to drink from an everlating source. I'm not supposed to be like a bush with shallow roots that is easily uprooted by the blowing of the wind.

5 This is what the LORD says:
"Cursed is the one who trusts in man,
who depends on flesh for his strength
and whose heart turns away from the LORD.

6 He will be like a bush in the wastelands;
he will not see prosperity when it comes.
He will dwell in the parched places of the desert,
in a salt land where no one lives.

7 "But blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD,
whose confidence is in him.

8 He will be like a tree planted by the water
that sends out its roots by the stream.
It does not fear when heat comes;
its leaves are always green.
It has no worries in a year of drought
and never fails to bear fruit."

So. . .how do we become the tumbleweed instead of the tree? Great question (some will get this and laugh)! The Lord told Jeremiah that the tumbleweed guy is the one who trusts in his own abilities, his own way of thinking, his own standards. He or she is the one whose heart turns away from God. OK - to be honest I thought the verse spoke for itself. The question is will we admit that we're the tumbleweed. Does it matter? I think so. If you are a bush easily blown around because you have no spiritual root system and you don't come to a point of acknowledging it then you'll never become a tree. It's that simple. And if you're a bush, let me just say that it only makes the valley experience that much harder and that much longer.

So how do you become a tree with deep root system? Another great question! Allow me to share with you a verse that may be familiar to you and many others, but I think has great spiritual impact.

. . .if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land. - 2 Chronicles 7:14

Here are some simple steps this passage outlines for you and me to become spiritual oaks.
  1. Humble yourself - realize that you are NOT God (this is a big one for a lot of people, including me sometimes)
  2. Pray - spend some time with God, confess the fact that you've been trying to get through this valley on your own
  3. Seek God - desire to know the heart of God - pursue the heart of God, listen to Him
  4. Turn from your wicked ways - simply put, this is repentence, turn from the way you are doing things now and turn toward God's ways
The Fathe tells us that if we will honestly and sincerely do these things, THEN He will hear us, will forgive us, and will heal us. If you and I will do this, then we will drink from the everlasting waters that nurture and grow our spiritual roots.

Have you been struggling in your valley expereince? It's hard, I know. I remember coming to a place where I had to let go of so many things. I had to stop working so hard at getting through my own personal valley and turn to God. My ways were just frustrating me and I wasn't getting anywhere. It was one of the most important lessons He has taught me while in the valley.

If you're struggling in the valley today check your spiritual roots. Praying and reading the Bible don't add up to a hill of beans if you don't have a humble heart that is focused on God. The wisest advice a friend can give ain't worth squat if it doesn't lead you to pursue the heart of God.

If you're struggling do one of two things today:
  1. Post your struggle here - click on the comments, type them out, submit them anonymously if you wish
  2. Click on "Email Mike" to the right - let me know privately
I want to pray for you, and will, if you let me. Let's become spiritual trees, rather than tumbleweeds.

Spreadin' my roots - Ooooo that water feels soooo good,
Mike




1 Comments:

At 8/15/2006 3:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mike, magnificent!
This you’re best yet. It is tough to read but oh…..... my... did it hit “home”. I am struggling so much. Sometimes the more I try the worse it gets. I know how blessed I am in so many ways....But lately the more I get into the word of God and feel like I have all together then another day comes around and it knocks me to my knees. I cannot find the “balance”. Either I am living good and I all of sudden I start feeling judgmental or I am so beat down that the humility starts to break my heart & spirit. I do not know if you understand but…

a situation comes up and before I realize it, I have handled in the “flesh” reacting to quick maybe the wrong way. I was brought up …..(or either it is just in my genes) to be an achiever. I have always thought if you work hard enough at something you could accomplish anything. So, from childhood on I fought hard….. I was independent…. tough for a female but never giving in – that the possibilities were endless with me and God. BUT I did not know where to stop and let God take control….. I am an over achiever. How does the ADD, overachiever learn when enough is enough and that God has to do the rest? It is a constant battle every day for me….. Pray for me…. I want to “finish well” as David did…..I am struggling and hurting.

I have had some defeats – one was my relationship 15 years ago. I never have been able to overcome the failures. THAT I FAILED!!! Maybe I did, maybe I didn’t who really knows……. I know that sometimes I look outside and look at the trees, watch the wind blow and meditate and everything just seems to make sense in God’s world. Then, I go back into the corporate world and the struggling begins with situations with people and all of a sudden I look at things and wonder “why”…..

Like today ….. I pray for God to help to understand me more, to help to be prepared for the inevitable.

Then, I cry and say one day, one day, I will be in place where all this will not matter…..

 

Post a Comment

<< Home