.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

In the Midst of the Valley

Picture courtesy of PD Photo

In the Midst of the Valley is about being in the midst of so much stuff it's hard to see the sky. Ever feel like that? What we don't realize, sometimes, is that there are incredible treasures to be found in the valley! This blog was started because I beleive that the greatest potential for spiritual growth is in the valley - not on the mountain top. These are lessons God has taught me as I go through the valley season of my life. May He use them to minister to you. Mike

Thursday, January 26, 2006

Moments

I was told I would have moments. You know - where everything is going well, then they sneak up on you and you're flooded with emotions and memories. Like missing a friend you haven't seen in a while, but worse.

This morning I had one of those moments . . .

When Karen was sick and new that her death was eminent she had here wedding dress cut up and made into handkerchiefs that she wanted neices, nephews, and friends who weren't married yet to have as something old on their wedding day. She wore her dress almost 21 years before, so guess the handkerchiefs would qualify as something old. They are so beautiful, if I do say so myself (yeah - I'm secure in my manhood!!). Karen had always intended on writing a note to go along with them, but she passed away before she could.

A dear friend of mine is getting marriend on Saturday. She has one of the handkerchiefs. Guess who wrote the note. Yeah, me. I tried to write it in a way I thought Karen would write it. It's probably more a mixture of Karen and me.

That's when the moment snuck up on me and beat me about the heart and head. I know now why I haven't written the note to go along with the handkerchiefs. It was super tough. Memories of our own wedding, the day she decided to cut up her wedding dress and have gifts made of it, her last days, the many ways she always was thinking of others and many more memories flooded my mind and my heart. I was overshelmed with emotions and they came rushing out like a river breaking through a levee.

So what do you do with times like this? The only thing I know to do is to cherish them. To hold onto them and don't allow life to steal them away.

Erica, wish I could be there. Sorry I can't. Please know how happy I am for you and Stephen. And even though I'm not there I will be celebrating in my heart for and with the two of you. May your God truly bless your life together.


Blindsided by moments,
Mike

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home