.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

In the Midst of the Valley

Picture courtesy of PD Photo

In the Midst of the Valley is about being in the midst of so much stuff it's hard to see the sky. Ever feel like that? What we don't realize, sometimes, is that there are incredible treasures to be found in the valley! This blog was started because I beleive that the greatest potential for spiritual growth is in the valley - not on the mountain top. These are lessons God has taught me as I go through the valley season of my life. May He use them to minister to you. Mike

Wednesday, January 04, 2006

It's About the Pace

This morning as I was reading L.B. Cowman's Streams In the Desert, it occurred to me that we can't push the pace. Valley experiencers cannot, must not, force the pace. For me, that can become a huge issue. I like to finish, to hurry up. I want to get it done and move on to the next thing. For this valley journey, that's difficult. In the first place, I don't want to be here and in the second place, I want to get it over with and move on! You may be able to relate to my natural tendencies. Allow me to caution us - don't rush!

I'm learning that this is not a race I'm trying to win. It's a journey. Sometimes it's a difficult one. Sometimes it's an unpleasant one. Sometimes it's a hurtful one. Yet with all its ups and downs, it's still a journey. That doesn't mean I always like it. If you're a valley experiencer you probably don't like it much, either. And, if you're like me you want it done. . .over. . .kaput. . .FINISHED!!

I often yearn to stand on the mountain top with my arms raised in victory (think Rocky I). I want to do a steroid-induced version of the kitchen dance!!

(I used to do the kitchen dance after opening and seeing my grades from college and seminary. I opened them in the kitchen and if they were at or better than what I was expecting I would begin the kitchen dance. And being the baptist that I am - dancing not being my forte - I would dance around the kitchen where no one could/would see me and praise God - Now that that's out - be nice, OK?)

Alas, the finish with all its celebration and joy is but a small part of the valley experience. It is within the walls of the valley that we experience the greatest potential for spirituall growth. This being true then we must endure the valley - the journey. We must move at God's pace. . .the Shepherd's pace. Somedays we rest, somedays we travel, but always at the pace best for us. . .for me!

Valley experiencers - don't rush it. Don't get ahead of the pace God intends for you.

Flock - don't push 'em. Pray for them. Come alongside them. Love them. Encourage them. But don't push them.

Pacing with the Padre,
Mike

2 Comments:

At 1/04/2006 10:41 AM, Blogger robert terrell said...

very nice. thanks for writing this down. it made my day.

 
At 1/04/2006 7:23 PM, Blogger Heath said...

man, you really spoke to my wife and I. We are going through a "valley" and we say to each other all the time "I just want this to be over with and whatever the outcome is, just being done with it will be nice"...

Thanks for reminding us to stay with the shepherd.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home