.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

In the Midst of the Valley

Picture courtesy of PD Photo

In the Midst of the Valley is about being in the midst of so much stuff it's hard to see the sky. Ever feel like that? What we don't realize, sometimes, is that there are incredible treasures to be found in the valley! This blog was started because I beleive that the greatest potential for spiritual growth is in the valley - not on the mountain top. These are lessons God has taught me as I go through the valley season of my life. May He use them to minister to you. Mike

Friday, December 30, 2005

Ministry and Motorcycles

It has been the coolest thing - ministry with a motorcylce. God has provided some incredible opportunities to meet people using my motorcycle. I wasn't sure about it when I originally bought it. To be perfectly honest (Ok, honest is honest - how can you be imperfectly honest? yah yah yah) I bought it for me - to give me an out from the busyness of life and ministry. But God has surprised me - pleasantly surprised me.

Yesterday, I met a guy, John, at Starbucks who is a charter plane pilot (I tried to talk him into letting me go along on a trip, but to no avail). We talked for quite a while. We talked about motorcycles (to say the least), we shared stories, we talked about. . .life. It was great to see him smile and laugh. John, I believe, is a Christian. I fam sincerely happy for John, but I just loved hangin' with John and hearing his stories.

A couple of weeks ago, while riding one evening, I stopped in at Starbucks (alright, yes, I'm the self-appointed secret shopper for Starbucks ) and met someone else, a lady whose name is Tammy. She owns both a Quizno's sandwich shop and a motorcycle. It's not a Harley, but it is a motorcyle. We talked a long time about motorcylces, cars, marriage, church, and again. . .life.

About a week, or so, ago I went in to get my hair cut. I wasn't riding my bike, but had one of my Harley hats on. The young lady cutting my hair, her name was Tammy also, noticed my hat and asked if I owned a motorcycle? Come to find out her father had passed away and left her a Harley-Davidson. Not only did she ride, but so did her brothers. She used to attend First Baptist North Mobile, but now doesn't really attend anywhere. While she snipped away at my locks we talked. We talked about her dad and his love for motorcycles, we talked about church, pastoring, and most of we just talked about. . . you guessed it - life. When I shared with her my desire to begin a motorcycle club/ministry at our church she got very excited about it and wanted to be a part of it.

WOW!! I am both humbled and excited at the opportunities God has placed in my life to meet people and share life with. It is sooooo cool. I guess that's kind of what Jesus did - took ministry to the people and shared life with them.

Now, I'm no Jesus (quit nodding your head), but I can definitely minister like he did. I can take ministry to the streets, literally. I can be available when he places people in my path. I can be an ear for those who just need someone to listen. I can share Christ by sharing life - being honest and transparent. I can minister by letting them see a pastor who, like them, is human and on a journey - seeking, laughing, hurting, and enjoying life.

Thank you, Lord, for the opportunities to share life and in the process share Jesus.

Motorcycling for the Messiah,
Mike

2 Comments:

At 1/04/2006 12:02 PM, Blogger jlo said...

I like what you wrote Mike. I have an uncle who I have been praying for and he told me this the other day:
"A lot of people have been sending their pastor to talk to me and I didn't really understand any of them. But I finally had a guy who came by and just talked to me, rather than preaching to me like all the others. He is teaching me things in a way I can understand..."

This pastor, whoever he is, reached my uncle because he did what your are doing. Keep it up.

Press On

 
At 1/10/2006 1:03 PM, Blogger CL said...

That's awesome Mike! I think a ministry like that would be awesome in Mobile!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home