.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

In the Midst of the Valley

Picture courtesy of PD Photo

In the Midst of the Valley is about being in the midst of so much stuff it's hard to see the sky. Ever feel like that? What we don't realize, sometimes, is that there are incredible treasures to be found in the valley! This blog was started because I beleive that the greatest potential for spiritual growth is in the valley - not on the mountain top. These are lessons God has taught me as I go through the valley season of my life. May He use them to minister to you. Mike

Sunday, January 08, 2006

Hold On!

I had a different beginning on this post, but after meeting Ron this morning I had to change it. Ron came into my office just needing someone to talk to, someone to listen and pray with him. I had never met Ron before today. He’s not a member of our church. He doesn’t even attend here, but God put him in my path this morning. Ron’s valley has to do with his relationship with his wife. Ron needs someone to tell him to “Hold On!”.

The other day I was listening to the ol’ iPod. Specifically, Shawn McDonald’s Hold On. I got to thinking about that phrase – Hold On. The more I thought about it, the more it began to sink in. It”, what is “it?”

“It” is the deep desire for God to hold on to me. One of the lessons I have learned about being in the valley is that sometimes I begin to lose my grip on God. Sometimes, slowly, my hand begins to slip through his. Come to think about it…sometimes I don’t want to hold on. It’s too hard, and so, I want to let go. I want to let go and RUN – run away as fast as I can. I can’t explain it in words, but for some strange reason I want to release my grip and take off and looking over my shoulder shout, “Hasta la vista, baby!!”

So…I need God to Hold On.

In the valley it is so easy to lose sight of the purpose of the valley – spiritual growth, healing, rest, helping/serving others - progress. I know, because I have lost sight of each of these while on my journey. I lose sight because I let go of God. So it is during my journey that I have come to say to the God of hope, “Hold On!” Hold on to me as though my life depends on his grip. And it does. Without God I stand a good chance, actually – every chance – of loosing my way, of getting lost, of losing sight of the purpose of the valley.

I am learning to say, “Hold On!” every day. Don’t do it every day, but I’m learning to ask God to hang on to me. Why? My life depends on His grip, because I still struggle to hang on to God.

As a valley experiencer you may feel as I do. I want to invite you say to God, “Hold On!” Maybe you need to do it with what feels like your last available breath. Maybe you need to scream it at the top of your lungs. Maybe it’s just a whisper. However you need to declare it, simply say, “Hold On!” and God’s grip will clamp down.

Here’s the good stuff – He tell us that He will always be there for us and He will never abandon us. Don’t know about you, but YEEEAAA GOD!! Everything and everyone in our lives will let us down (or has the potential to let us down), but not God. He will always be there. He will not give up on you.

So…today, in the midst of your valley maybe you need God to Hold On. Don’t be afraid to ask Him to squeeze a little tighter. Rest assured, He will.

Hangin’ On,
Mike

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home