.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

In the Midst of the Valley

Picture courtesy of PD Photo

In the Midst of the Valley is about being in the midst of so much stuff it's hard to see the sky. Ever feel like that? What we don't realize, sometimes, is that there are incredible treasures to be found in the valley! This blog was started because I beleive that the greatest potential for spiritual growth is in the valley - not on the mountain top. These are lessons God has taught me as I go through the valley season of my life. May He use them to minister to you. Mike

Friday, September 01, 2006

Tears

Reading through Lamentations this morning this verse jumped out at me -

She sobs through the night; tears stream down her cheeks. - Lamentations 1:2 (NLT)

These are the cries of Jerusalem after the fall and exile to Babylon. These are deep words. . .deep wounds. They are wounds that can only be expressed through tears.

For some, even me at times, it seems the valley is full of tears of those who tread its paths.

There were so many nights I cried myself to sleep - my pillow soaked with tears of sadness. . .of distress. . .of desparation. . .of pain.

There were the tears I cried the week after Karen's death. They accompanied the "Why?" question, along with the gaping hole her death left behind. There were the tears that were shed later on that partnered with the hurt & pain I finally realized I was experiencing. There were tears of struggle as I worked towards putting my life together without Karen. Tears also flowed as I realized God would not give me the desires of my heart. Then, finally, came tears of healing - the sweet drops of cleansing and setting things in God's perspective.

Tears are good. Tears signal pain. They let us know we hurt. They bring cleansing and, ultimately - for me - usher in healing. And with healing comes the journey to an "other side" of the the valley. Don't be afraid to allow them to flow. Sometimes it could just a trickle. At times a full-blown raging river. It's alright, take it from someone who knows.

I continue to have tears of sadness. At times I still miss Karen. It could be when I hear a song, see a visual reminder, or think of a situation and I think of Karen - and I cry. These times usually sneak up on me. They're not bad times, just "missing" times - tearful times.

If you're in the valley, there may be times when the valley seems flooded with your tears. It's OK, let them flow. And as you do pursue God's heart. Remember, Weeping may go on all night, but joy comes with night (Ps 30:5, NLT). There is hope. There is a morning. There is a new day bringing refreshing and healing.

Thank you, Father, for such wonderful tears and the seasons of the valley they represent to me.

Where's my hanky?
Mike

1 Comments:

At 4/03/2010 7:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for these words. It helped me to understand that there are tears of sadness and tears of healing. Helping me to realise that there are different types of tears pointed me towards the hope of tears of joy in the future.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home