.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

In the Midst of the Valley

Picture courtesy of PD Photo

In the Midst of the Valley is about being in the midst of so much stuff it's hard to see the sky. Ever feel like that? What we don't realize, sometimes, is that there are incredible treasures to be found in the valley! This blog was started because I beleive that the greatest potential for spiritual growth is in the valley - not on the mountain top. These are lessons God has taught me as I go through the valley season of my life. May He use them to minister to you. Mike

Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Good Days!

While I was serving at First Baptist Church in Terrell, Texas I would walk through the worship center meeting and greeting folks on Sunday mornings. Some were senior adults who couldn't sit through both Bible study and worship, so they came to worship.

I remember greeting one couple asking if they were having a good day. His response still brings a smile to my face. He said, "At my age, Brother Mike, everyday I can wake up and shake the sheets is a good day!" I still get a laugh out of his reply.

You see, good days are relative. Some have a good day because they woke up and can both feet on the floor. Some declare a good day when their wife is in the car and they are pulling out of the drive way ON TIME!

(guys I used the two-minute drill with Karen - I declared in two minutes I was pulling out of the driveway and made my way to the car. This let her know she had to stop doing stuff and leave. I know some of you are saying to yourselves right now, "How dare he!" Oh c'mon, Karen, herself, admitted that if it wasn't for me she would be late to everything. Anyway, it worked for us.)

I tell you this from more than a year in the valley - EVERYDAY IS A GOOD DAY!! God's Word declares, "This is the day the LORD has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it" (Psalms 188:24). I don't know about you, but for me that says that everyday the Lord gives me is a good day. I'm to receive it, rejoice in it, get glad about it. It doesn't matter if it's raining relational, financial, or personal problems. The simple fact that God made this day and gave it to me is the only reason it is a good day!

HEY VALLEY EXPERIENCERS - Listen up! I've been through some of the darkest days anyone one person can experience in the valley. It wasn't that I didn't receive a good day. . .I DIDN'T WANT A GOOD DAY! I wanted to wallow around in the mire of self-pity and problems. I wanted to declare, "O woe is me!!" I wanted to be angry and frustrated. I wanted my way.

All that will do is eat at you 'till it destroys you. STOP IT!! Get up, dust yourself off, and receive the gift of this day and rejoice in the One who loves you more and deeper than your pain, your grief, your loss, your hurt, your feelings, your emotions, your. . .(you fill in the blank).

Smile, sing, encourage someone else, confess, repent, receive. Whatever it takes for you to have a good day. . .DO IT! Remember, your good days are relative to you, not what others think you should have. Maybe today if you can shake the sheets you need praise the Lord for a good day. Maybe for you it's being able to put one foot in front of another today. Maybe a good day for you is being around people. It could be that a good day for you is simply facing the day.

Don't forget. . .TODAY, TOMORROW, AND THE DAYS AFTER ARE GOOD DAYS!

Loving Today,
Mike

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home