.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

In the Midst of the Valley

Picture courtesy of PD Photo

In the Midst of the Valley is about being in the midst of so much stuff it's hard to see the sky. Ever feel like that? What we don't realize, sometimes, is that there are incredible treasures to be found in the valley! This blog was started because I beleive that the greatest potential for spiritual growth is in the valley - not on the mountain top. These are lessons God has taught me as I go through the valley season of my life. May He use them to minister to you. Mike

Thursday, June 08, 2006

God and the WWE

Ok. . .so God and the WWE don't REALY have a lot in common - on the surface. But I was recently reminded of them both by a friend who is going their own valley. They reminded me of the point we all must come to in the valley - giving in or giving up.

I know from personal experience, many of you do too, that our valley experience often comes down to a wrestling match between me and God. . .you and God. For me it was a knock-down, no-holds-barred event. You could have sold tickets and made a million. Bring out the bright lights, the glam, the crowds, fill the arena, and "LET'S GET IT ON!!" Valley experiencers know what I'm talking about.

As I was also reminded it comes down to this - giving up v. giving in. Are you going to give up - walk away, turn your back on the One who loves you more than anyone, the One who has done more for you than you will ever know? Are you going to walk away from all God has done and wants to do in you and through you?

OR. . .are you going to run to the ring, taking everything with you - emotions, strongholds, beliefs, perspectives - and hit the mat with God? Are you going to do the most difficult thing in your life? The most painful experience you will ever go through - battling God and learning to give in - cry "Uncle?"

I have to be honest here, it would be so much easier just to turn it all over to Him up front, but it's so hard for me and for many valley experiencers I have encountered on my journey through the valley. Why do we hold on to things? Why do we grip so tightly? I think it's because sometimes, it's all we think we have and if we lose that, there's nothing left to hold on to. So. . .we come to the point of giving up or giving in.

I would much rather a valley experiencer learn to give in, than give up. When we wrestle with God, pull the ol' WWE, and learn to give in it sticks with us. It will always be with us. It is our experience with God. It's good to wrestle with God. May not be the easiest way, but it certainly serves as a great reminder of who wears the "BELT" and who doesn't.

I also think when we wrestle with God and learn to give in, it helps us "make the turn." There's just something about exiting the ring knowing you gave it all to Him, you didn't hold anything back. There's a renewal, a peace, a new perspective we gain. Now the journey, even if it gets worse by the world's standards, doesn't seem so deep . . .so hard. . .so lonesome. . .so long.

If you're struggling with you're journey. . don't give up. Take God out back and "GET IT ON!" Just remember, don't hold back. Cry, scream, kick, punch - just not walls or anything that's fairly solid, take it from one who knows - write, pray, walk, run - whatever you do, don't hold back. God is the "Champ" and can take anything you throw at him. He wants it. He wants you.

From one who knows,
Mike

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home