.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

In the Midst of the Valley

Picture courtesy of PD Photo

In the Midst of the Valley is about being in the midst of so much stuff it's hard to see the sky. Ever feel like that? What we don't realize, sometimes, is that there are incredible treasures to be found in the valley! This blog was started because I beleive that the greatest potential for spiritual growth is in the valley - not on the mountain top. These are lessons God has taught me as I go through the valley season of my life. May He use them to minister to you. Mike

Saturday, June 10, 2006

Laughing!

I was thinking about it this morning. . .how good laughter is for us.

The best laugher were Karen and two of her high-school friends - Paige and Kristi. They would start laughing and then nothing would come out, but tears. They wouldn't breathe, they wouldn't even have to say anything and it was like they knew what the others were thinking and they woudl start all over again. I miss those days, but I also cherish them, because of what it meant to Karen and me in her last days.

Valley experiencers - when was the last time you laughed? When was the last time your face hurt from smiling, your innards where sore from laughing so hard, tears poured from your eyes from joy?

Recently I begain lauging - again. It's been a while. I know what it's like to not want to laugh or even think you can. There are times when the sorrow seems too great. . .when the pain is too deep. But I have come to believe that laughter is like salve for the soul. It DOES help.

There's something about laughter that moves us forward in the valley. Laughter doesn't allow us to dig our heels in and camp out in a spot. It gives us momemtum. It doesn't even have to be memories or about your valley. Go see a really stupid movie. I remember when I was in seminary and working and serving as an intern at our church and Karen was bearing so much of the financial load. We were both just worn out, tired, pooped. We decided to go see Son In-Law. Now Son In-Law is not on the must see list, but in the middle of the movie we found ourselves laughing - not quietly, to ourselves, but OUT LOUD!! We were bustin' a gut!! We even bought the movie and everytime I watch that stupid movie I remember us laughing.

I don't know what makes you laugh and in the midst of the valley it could be almost anything. I encourage you to find it. . .be open to it. . .and when it happens let her rip!!


Later,
Smilin' Mike

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home