.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

In the Midst of the Valley

Picture courtesy of PD Photo

In the Midst of the Valley is about being in the midst of so much stuff it's hard to see the sky. Ever feel like that? What we don't realize, sometimes, is that there are incredible treasures to be found in the valley! This blog was started because I beleive that the greatest potential for spiritual growth is in the valley - not on the mountain top. These are lessons God has taught me as I go through the valley season of my life. May He use them to minister to you. Mike

Thursday, June 22, 2006

Devoting yourself to prayer

If you were waiting for today's post. . .sorry! Had to get the yard mowed and cleaned up this morning before it gets too hot. So, here it is.

I've jumped to the book of Acts. It's one of those books of the Bible I have read chapters, verses. . .parts of, but never the entire book straight through. Aannnddd Awayyyyy we gooooo. . .

As I read Acts 1 I was drawn to verse 14. . .

They all joined together constantly in prayer, along with the women and Mary the mother of Jesus, and with his brothers.

It seems that after Jesus left them to sit at the right hand of the Father the first thing they did was gather together and prayed. I don't know about you, but my inclination is not always to turn to prayer - to turn to the Father. Sometimes, acutally more times than I would like to admit, I try it on my own or seek advice from well-meaning friends rather than going into my prayer closet and asking for God's leadership.

This was a new season in the lives of the apostles and the followers of Christ. It had been three years since they did anything without Jesus being there. Now they were alone. They didn't have Him there guiding, helping, teaching, and leading them. In a sense they were experiencing their own particular valley. So what did they do? "Hey. . .I know, let's gather together and pray. . .let's seek God's face!"

We valley experiencers can take a page from their book. Maybe the next time you and I are feeling a little alone, a little pressure from our valley. . . take time to pray. Seek God's face. Spend some time in intentional prayer.

If you're not sure what to do next stop right now and pray. Ask God what He wants. Tell Him how you feel. Let Him know what's going on inside. I know from experience He listens and hears your prayers. It's up to you and me to go to Him.


Mike

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home