.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

In the Midst of the Valley

Picture courtesy of PD Photo

In the Midst of the Valley is about being in the midst of so much stuff it's hard to see the sky. Ever feel like that? What we don't realize, sometimes, is that there are incredible treasures to be found in the valley! This blog was started because I beleive that the greatest potential for spiritual growth is in the valley - not on the mountain top. These are lessons God has taught me as I go through the valley season of my life. May He use them to minister to you. Mike

Monday, May 22, 2006

DO WHAT!

My Dad is notorious for his "shortcuts." When we would go on a trip or a weekend excursion everything went as planned until he would proclaim to the fam that we were taking a "shortcut." This usually entailed a journey through some unknown, back-woods, little-used road that took us twice as long to get home. Since then Dad's shortcuts have become somewhat of a family joke. I have come to appreciate my father's sense of adventure and willingness to get off the beaten path. It just doesn't jive well with my sense of accomplishment that says we have to get finished with what we are doing so we can go do something else. So when Dad declares a "shortcut" the first thing that goes through my mind is, "DO WHAT?!"

That must have been what the Israelites were thinking when God led them out of Egypt and didn't take them the shorter way. In Exodus 13:17 it says that when Pharoah let the people go, God did not lead them through Philistine country, though it would have been a shorter route to the land God had promised them. Now. . .God had His reason; He knew that if they faced war, and they probably would have, they might change their mind and want to return to Egypt.

I can't tell you how many times God has done something in my life and I said, "DO WHAT?" It's because my perspective and God's perspective of my life are not the same. When God leads me in a direction I wasn't planning on going or down a path that wasn't a part of my plans I often find myself saying something like, "I wouldn't have gone this way," or "I wouldn't have done it this way," yadda. . .yadda. . .yadda. Then again my ways are not his ways.

I imagine some of the Israelites were probably mumbling something like this behind Moses' back. They were saying things like, "Moses doesn't know where he's going," "This isn't the shortest way," or "We should have taken that left at Albuquerque," - Bugs Bunny fans will get this one.

God had His reason for taking the Israelites the way He did. It doesn't say whether or not God told them His plans, then again, God doesn't always tell us, either. Does He? You see, when I'm in the valley I don't, and often can't, see my life from God's perspective. He has His reasons - protection, lessons to be learned, healing that needs to take place, whatever it is I probably don't see it at the time. To be honest, I just want out of the valley; so I ask and look for the quickest way out. And when it doesn't happen like I expect it to I respond, "DO WHAT?!"

Valley experiencers take a lesson from me, don't take the shortcut. Don't miss out on God's plans for you. I know it's tough. It can be a hard journey, but remember, your ways are not God's ways, for His ways are so much greater. They are so much better. You will definitely want to experience His plans!

So. . .remain obedient, faithfully trusting God for the details!


Mike

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home