.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

In the Midst of the Valley

Picture courtesy of PD Photo

In the Midst of the Valley is about being in the midst of so much stuff it's hard to see the sky. Ever feel like that? What we don't realize, sometimes, is that there are incredible treasures to be found in the valley! This blog was started because I beleive that the greatest potential for spiritual growth is in the valley - not on the mountain top. These are lessons God has taught me as I go through the valley season of my life. May He use them to minister to you. Mike

Monday, May 15, 2006

Hey You!!

God gave me a pretty cool word this morning. I think it's appropriate for many of us, but especially for vally experiencers.

In Exodus 3:1-15 God appears to Moses. Now, God didn't just show up. You know. . .He didn't appear in His royal robe, long white, flowing beard, bright light kind of stuff. He showed up in a most unusual way - A BURNING BUSH! So, here's Moses busy with sheep - how busy do you think he was? - on Mount Horeb, the mountain of God and this bush catches fire. Don't know about you but anything catching fire without me setting it ablaze would probably catch my attention, but God went even further, the bush wasn't turning into ashes. It was just on fire! This DID get Moses' attention and God used it to speak a powerful message into the life of Moses.

OK, what about you and me? What must God do to get our attention? What must He do to grab us so He can speak into our lives? For Moses it was a non-consuming fire, what about you?

If you're like me burning bushes are neat. Think about it. . .how cool would that be to have God show up in the midst of a burning bush? I'm afraid that's exactly what it would take to get my attention. Why does it seem to always take something dramatic in our lives. . .something like valley experiences for God to get our attention? I don't know. I do, however, agree with Stuart Briscoe who writes in his devotional One Year Book of Devotions for Men, "the busier a man is the more difficult it is to get his attention." How true and how sad. Many of you have been in the valley a long time (or so it appears) and your focus has been on the circumstances, the environment, the longing for a mountain top. I know because I feel the very same way and do the very same things.

I'm so busy with stuff I wonder that if I did see a burning bush the first thought through my congested and screwed up mind would probably be, "Great, another fire to put out!" How 'bout you?

Valley experiencers and flock, alike, let's slow down so God can get our attention. I'm almost certain He has some pretty cool and powerful stuff for you and me- didn't think cool and powerful could go together did ya? I hope God wouldn't need something as dramatic as a burning bush to get my attention, but if it takes that, so be it!


FLAME ON!
Mike

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home