.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

In the Midst of the Valley

Picture courtesy of PD Photo

In the Midst of the Valley is about being in the midst of so much stuff it's hard to see the sky. Ever feel like that? What we don't realize, sometimes, is that there are incredible treasures to be found in the valley! This blog was started because I beleive that the greatest potential for spiritual growth is in the valley - not on the mountain top. These are lessons God has taught me as I go through the valley season of my life. May He use them to minister to you. Mike

Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Why Me?

This isn't the "Why me?" that thinks, "why am I in the valley?" It's the "why me?" that says "why do you want me to do that!?" In Exodus 4 we find Moses standing before the very presence of God. Jehova has told Moses to go on God's behalf and tell Pharoah to release the Israelites. God does some pretty impressive stuff to let Moses know that God is able. Moses' reply to all this? "O Lord, please send someone else to do it." (v 14) Ohhhh Moses, why would you EVER say something like that? Are you rolling your eyes, too? Yeah, that takes guts - telling God "NO!" Refusing to go for God!!

How many times has God had something for me to do and I refused? You ever do that? This is the same God who spoke the universe into being, who raised man from the dust and fearfully and wonderfully created all his intricate parts - even the fun ones - and who raised the dead to walk again. So why do I hesitate? Why do I find reason after reason - spoken and unspoken - not to go and do? Why do I deny God, as though He is incapable of equipping and enabling little ol' me to accompish the very mission/purpose He, himself, has asked me to do?

I know the answer. The real reason I stand flat-footed has a simple answer with many parts. Parts like:
  • denial
  • lack of faith
  • fear
  • pride
  • selfishness
All these parts add up to one thing - SIN. Sin in my life keeps me from believing God. . .seeing God. . .experiencing God. It is sin that holds me captive rather than allowing me to experience the freedom that comes from obedience.

You? You holding back? You unwilling to go and do? What's God wanting you to do? Where is God wanting you to go? You know it's true. . .sometimes we valley experincers get so caught up in our experience, in our valley, in our pain, in our suffering, in me, me, me, me that we deny God the pleasure of seeing us through a task - a mission. We stand before a holy and powerful God and say, "O Lord, please send someone else to do it." In doing so we miss out on incredible blessings and opportunities to see God do some exciting things in, through and around us.

What's keeping you from going? What's keeping you from doing? What, in your life, makes you like me. . .like Moses?

Open Handed Before God,
Mike

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home