.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

In the Midst of the Valley

Picture courtesy of PD Photo

In the Midst of the Valley is about being in the midst of so much stuff it's hard to see the sky. Ever feel like that? What we don't realize, sometimes, is that there are incredible treasures to be found in the valley! This blog was started because I beleive that the greatest potential for spiritual growth is in the valley - not on the mountain top. These are lessons God has taught me as I go through the valley season of my life. May He use them to minister to you. Mike

Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Waiting

Earlier I wrote of movement and its importance in the valley experience. I still believe it's important. Today I want to also include the other side of the coin - Waiting on God.

A friend of mine sent me the following passage from Psalms 37:3-7

Trust in the LORD and do good.
Then you will live safely in the land and prosper.

Take delight in the LORD,
and he will give you your heart's desires.

Commit everything you do to the LORD.
Trust him, and he will help you.

He will make your innocence as clear as the dawn,
and the justice of your cause will shine like the noonday sun.

Be still in the presence of the LORD,
and wait patiently for him to act.
Don't worry about evil people who prosper
or fret about their wicked schemes.

As I read this passage my eye and mind kept coming back to the first part of verse 7, Be still in the presence of the Lord, and wait patiently for him to act.

It was as though God kept telling me, "WAIT." OK, for those who know me you already know this is THE most difficult issue in my life. I hate waiting. I dislike long lines and slow processes. I never went to Six Flags with Karen because I thought, "How ridiculous! Paying so much to stand in a line and sweat!" When I see something I want, I get it. When there's a task or goal to accomplish, let's get on it. Are you getting the picture yet?

So, when God says to wait patiently for him to act, my innards begin to get knotted up. I also know that Jesus said that if I loved him I will obey his commands. So with that said and my heart slowly submitting to his command, I think it's important to wait on God. So many times I want to speed up the journey to the other side of the valley. How many times have I tried to manipulate or attack the process to make it go faster? Too many. Way too many.

God has a timetable and in that timetable he has things for me to learn. If I'm going to be all he wants me to be at the end of the valley experience I must accept God's timetable. It may not be to my liking. It may not fit my thought process. It may not be the way I would do it. It doesn't matter!! It's about coming out on the other side complete and whole and healthy and excited about the future.

What about you? Trying to rush the experience? Trying to make it on your own? Wanting the process to speed up?

Remember, movement is important. Movement is a part of the process, but it is movement in God's timing.

Waiting and wondering,
Mike

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home