.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

In the Midst of the Valley

Picture courtesy of PD Photo

In the Midst of the Valley is about being in the midst of so much stuff it's hard to see the sky. Ever feel like that? What we don't realize, sometimes, is that there are incredible treasures to be found in the valley! This blog was started because I beleive that the greatest potential for spiritual growth is in the valley - not on the mountain top. These are lessons God has taught me as I go through the valley season of my life. May He use them to minister to you. Mike

Thursday, September 01, 2005

Is your valley really that deep?

My Grandpa Wallace used to say, "We complain because we have no shoes until we turn the corner and meet the man who has no feet." Right now I feel like the man who was complaining about not having any shoes.

By now most, if not all, of you know that Hurricane Katrina has devastated the gulf coast from New Orleans to Mobile and the surrounding areas. Yeah, we're feeling the impact of the storm. Gas is being rationed to $10 a car with lines stretching for forever, restaraunts are closing at 6:00 pm, there's a dusk-to-dawn curfew, people are still without power, some are even without sewage because of the lack of power.

I spent Sunday and Monday nights in our student center. It was constructed to be a storm shelter. So, for the most part it was like camping out. We had electricity both nights, so the A/C was running. Tuesday night I spent the night in my office because I was without power at the house. Yesterday evening I went to the house to take care of my kennel (3 dogs & 2 cats) and the power was still not connected. I became angry. I couldn't beleive that there was power just less than a mile up the road and I didn't have access to it!

How arrogant of me. How self-serving of me. How inconsiderate of me. How insensitive of me.

Who am I to complain about the lack of power when there are people who have lost everything: homes, jobs, cars, possessions, family. . . everything. Sure I wanted some "shoes", but then God reminded me of people who don't have any "feet."

Thank you God for your Spirit who convicts and disciplines. Thank you for providing my needs, but forgive me for being so self-centered. Show me how I can pray for and minister to those who who are without.

How about you? Is your valley REALLY that deep or do you make it that deep? Are you complaining about not having "shoes" when there are people who don't have any "feet?" Thank God for the feet in your life and pray for those who are without.

Please pray that Jesus will be lifted up in the days ahead. Pray for wisdom for our leadership. Pray that would do the miraculous in the Mobile community!

Humbled and Convicted,
Mike

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home