.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

In the Midst of the Valley

Picture courtesy of PD Photo

In the Midst of the Valley is about being in the midst of so much stuff it's hard to see the sky. Ever feel like that? What we don't realize, sometimes, is that there are incredible treasures to be found in the valley! This blog was started because I beleive that the greatest potential for spiritual growth is in the valley - not on the mountain top. These are lessons God has taught me as I go through the valley season of my life. May He use them to minister to you. Mike

Friday, July 08, 2005

Breathing Rarified Air?

At approximately 1:10 pm today it will be exactly 2 months since Karen breathed her last breath of alien air and began breathing the glorified air only found in the presence of her God. I know approximately and exactly don't neccessarily go together in the same sentence, but you know what I mean. That's not the real issue. The real issue is whether or not you will be breathing glorfied air when you die?

I remember her last night in the hospital back in February/March (somewhere in there). We were both lying in her hospital bed and she asked me, "Mike, they'er sending me home to die, aren't they?" "Yes," I replied as we both lie there with tears pouring down our faces. You see Karen knew that one day she would no longer exist in earthly form. She knew that one day she would see the Father and worship Him. As we talked about things in a rambling fashion, she shared with me that she wasn't afraid to die. That didn't mean she wanted to suffer or that she was ready to leave this place, it just meant that she was confident in where she would spend eternity.

You see Karen knew she would spend eternity in heaven because of her personal relationship with God through Jesus Christ. What about you?

What many do know, but you may not, was that Karen's greatest hope was to live a life in such a way as to bring glory to God. In other words, she didn't want people to think she was here for her own needs and wants and wishes. It's not that she didn't have them, she did. It's that Karen wanted to point people to her Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ through her life.

Even this morning I received email that spoke of Karen reaching out to people and pointing them to a loving God (you know who you are).

Yeah, I'm sad that she's not here, but I am more than grateful that God gave me a woman who exemplified godly love, mercy, and service. I am wonderfully excited that even today people are still being touched by her witness and faithfulness to her God.

Let me share with you her last hours and moments before she went to worship her God. Maybe it will help you in some way.

Karen had a very tough night. Her pain had become unbearable. In fact, at one point during the night she was ready to go to the hospital - if you know Karen you know the pain had to be really, really bad because she hated going to the hospital. But, with the help of some incredible medical personnel we were able to stabilize her pain. The next morning things changed dramatically. Her breathing became very labored and her pulse was very shallow. The hospice nurse couldn't even pick it up to get her blood pressure.

Later that morning as friends and family began to gather around some of us were sitting around her praying and singing. I was sitting behind her and Connie Minshew was on her left and Dawne Allen was on her right. Ok, this wasn't the angelic choir we are speaking of here. But in the middle of our singing and praying Karen opended her eyes and with a smile on her face said that we could quit singing now, she saw God and that I would be OK and that her mother, Alice, would be OK. As fast as all that took place she was back to labored breathing and unable to respond to us.

More friends and family began to gather at the house. At about 1:08 Karen's mother, Alice was sitting holding her right hand. Her father, Clarence was sitting behind her. And I was sitting on her left. Karen suddenly drew her arms in and squinted her eyes. One tear leaked from the corner of her left eye and streamed down her cheek. Then she thrust her arms out like she was reaching for someone. I remember asking her if she saw God? She then puckered her lips as though she was kissing someone and then relaxed as she exhaled the last bit of air in her tiny body.

I honestly beleive she saw the face of God. I believe that when she drew her arms in and shed said her last tear that she was saying goodbye to us. And I believe that when she reached out and puckered her lips she was reaching for and kissing the face of God.

How do I know and believe all that. Because I know Karen had a personal relationship with God. You see the Bible tells us that what we deserve because of our sin is eternal separation from Him. But because He so desires a relationship with you and me He presents us with a free gift called eternal life through the death of Jesus, His one and only Son. We can't earn this gift. We can't get there by good works. We only have this relationship because of the Jesus' death on the cross. His death on the cross serves as a bridge over which you and I must cross to get into heaven. We cross this bridge when we accept Jesus as our personal savior and make Him the boss or the Lord of our lives.

If you are ready to admit that you are a sinner saved by the wonderful grace of God, and willing to sincerely accept the forgiveness of sins offered by God through the death of Jesus Christ, and you are willing to accept Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior of your life, then pray the following prayer right now:

"Lord Jesus Christ, I know I am a sinner and do not deserve eternal life. But, I believe You died and rose from the dead to purchase a place in heaven for me. Lord Jesus, come into my life; take control of my life: forgive me of my sins and save me. I repent of my sins and now place my trust in You for my salvation. I accept the free gift of eternal life."


If you prayed that prayer just now I want to congradulate you. Now email me and let me know. Click on the "Email Mike" link to the right just under my picture. I want to celebrate with you and help you as you begin your new life in Christ. Karen would be very excited for you right now. This is what she lived for.

Now you know for sure that you will be breathing glorified air!

For those of you who are valley experiencers and know God through a personal relationship with Jesus Christ - does your life point to the one who offered you salvation - in spite of your circumstances?

Your brother in Christ
Mike

1 Comments:

At 7/08/2005 7:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mike:
WOW!
I was so encouraged by this post! For one time since all this began I did not cry! I know Karen saw God and none of us would want to come back from that! Yes, I will definitely cry again but right now for today i am imaging her with our precious Lord and Oh how happy they must be! She is so lucky! It just stinks for you right now. I love you and am constantly thinking of and praying for you,
Donya

 

Post a Comment

<< Home