.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

In the Midst of the Valley

Picture courtesy of PD Photo

In the Midst of the Valley is about being in the midst of so much stuff it's hard to see the sky. Ever feel like that? What we don't realize, sometimes, is that there are incredible treasures to be found in the valley! This blog was started because I beleive that the greatest potential for spiritual growth is in the valley - not on the mountain top. These are lessons God has taught me as I go through the valley season of my life. May He use them to minister to you. Mike

Friday, May 20, 2005

Hanging with the Flock

I want to let you in on a little secret about the valley experience - not every moment, not every day is full of pain. That's right. Sometimes, actually quite often, I smile, I laugh, I joke, I sing, and I conintue living life. I like to laugh, I like to smile, and I love to sing (though many would probably agree my version of singing is questionable). It's who I am and it's who I like to be.

A couple of times I have mentioned "hanging with the flock." This is part of what enables me to laugh, smile, sing, and conintue living life the way God created me to. Wednesday night God provided me an opportunity to share Karen's story with a group of students. Doing so enabled me to hang with a great friend and brother, Stacey. Stacey is the self-titled "Director of Wildlife" for Fusion Student Ministries at Humble Area's First Baptist Church. I was also able to hang out with some of my god-children and their mom (Stacey's wife). We laughed, we remembered, and through it all I was encouraged. That day I was able to hang with the Mama LaRue, and Stuart (Middle School Pastor of Fusion Student Ministries). What a day!

Thursday morning I was in thome of some of Stacey's students praying with and for them. Later that morning I was in the home of a new friend and brother in Christ who has a heart for reaching college and young adults in his area. As Pat Cammarata shared his vision it captivated my heart. WOW! I got excited for him and wanted to help him any way I could.

Last night another brother in Chirst called me. Steve is the Associate Pastor for Worship at Carpenter's Way. He called to check on me and we talked about the weekend coming up and our plans. It was great to hear from him. I can't wait to see him on Sunday.

I said all that to say, "hanging with the flock is therapeutic." It is encouraging and it moves us through the valley. If your in the midst of the valley, please find some other sheep to hang with. Jesus did. Check out the days before he was arrested. He shared his story with this friends, he even invited them to the Garden to pray and be a part of his experience. They just didn't get it at the time.

Listen, God never expected us to go through the valley alone. Allow those in your life to be a part of it. What you will find is that most of the time it's not as bad as we think it is.

Allow me to say, those I mentioned in this entry are not the only ones who have been encouraging. I could fill an entire entry with the names of sheep who have come around me, ministered to me, encouraged me, and continue to help me laugh, smile, and sing. You know who you are. Thank you!

Keep smiling, keep singing, keep living!

Striding with the shepherd,
Mike

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home