.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

In the Midst of the Valley

Picture courtesy of PD Photo

In the Midst of the Valley is about being in the midst of so much stuff it's hard to see the sky. Ever feel like that? What we don't realize, sometimes, is that there are incredible treasures to be found in the valley! This blog was started because I beleive that the greatest potential for spiritual growth is in the valley - not on the mountain top. These are lessons God has taught me as I go through the valley season of my life. May He use them to minister to you. Mike

Monday, May 16, 2005

I'm Back!

Ok, I'm back. Today is my first day back in the office. It is good to get back. It is good to get back into my "sanctuary." You see, in the midst of the valley, we look for comforting places. We want something to hang on to. That is why, I believe, it is so hard for us to go through the valley times in our lives. The valley changes things. It changes who we are, where we are going, and what we are to do. I am now doing things that Karen used to do. I am now going places ALONE. I am a different person that I was even a week ago.

A real life example took place yesterday.

I hung out at my dad's place while we were in Waxahachie (yes, it's in Texas) for Karen's funeral. On Sunday morning we went to church with my dad at The Oaks Fellowship. Since I'm always interested in seeing how processes work in churches I do get to visit I filled out the guest card. After I filled in my name and address guess what they wanted to know next? That's right - married or single? For the first time in twenty-one years I checked "single." I have never attended a church where I didn't check the married box. But things are different now. I'm different. I'm in a new season of life. Not good, not bad, just different.

One thing we must understand and accept is that different isn't always bad. Somehow we have adopted the concept that change is bad. If that's true, then pull all your teeth and order up a nice sirloin. Good luck and let me know how it goes. If change is so bad, then tell God he didn't have to send Jesus, because you would rather live according The Law rather than grace. Change is not bad. It's different. While different scares us, it can move us closer to the end of the valley.

In the mean time I will continue to allow God to make me different. I may not always like it, but if God's doing the changing it will definitely be for the good. I will still seek out people, places, and things that bring me comfort, like my office and my dear friends.

If you're going through the valley right now don't object to change. It's part of the valley process. Trust the shepherd and lean on the flock. That's what they're there for.

MS

1 Comments:

At 5/16/2005 10:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I sure have said a few prayers for you this week Mike. I enjoy reading your blog. I have some students in situations and your blogs put words to what they are going through and biblical perspectives also. THANKS!! Will keep praying!!! Amy English

 

Post a Comment

<< Home