.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

In the Midst of the Valley

Picture courtesy of PD Photo

In the Midst of the Valley is about being in the midst of so much stuff it's hard to see the sky. Ever feel like that? What we don't realize, sometimes, is that there are incredible treasures to be found in the valley! This blog was started because I beleive that the greatest potential for spiritual growth is in the valley - not on the mountain top. These are lessons God has taught me as I go through the valley season of my life. May He use them to minister to you. Mike

Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Lessons from the Valley

I changed the name of the blog to "In the Midst of the Valley" after God began to reveal several things to me this past weekend. Hopefully, as future entries are posted, you will see the reasoning behind the change.

Almost a year ago I shared with our church that, as Christians, our greatest potential for growth is in the valley(s). Why? Because, while we long for mountain top experiences we can’t stay there. We cannot survive on the mountain top. There is no shelter, no food, and no water; the necessities for survival don’t exist beyond the tree-line of life. There’s nothing to sustain us. This is not to take away from the importance of mountain top experiences. They are valuable experiences in our lives. They represent battles fought and won, struggles overcome, achievement, exhilaration, and “now that that’s over” sigh of relief. They also serve as a vantage to point to help us see the next mountain top. But to get there we must pass through the next valley. Some times in our excitement or because we just don't want to go through another valley we want to jump from mountain top to mountain top. But in reality that’s not even a possibility. Sadly, even when we may attempt the next valley we often scramble back up to the previous mountain top hoping to experience that feeling of exhilaration and victory – to no avail. Again, these mountain top experiences are important in our lives, but they will not provide for us the needed sustenance to take us on the next climb to that next victory – that sweet taste of victory.

Valleys supply us with the food, water, and shelter needed to grow. While there are certain opportunities for us to become prey to the temptations, the trials, and the travails of life, there are all the essentials to furnish us the needed provisions to overcome the enemy. In the valley is where we will find our shepherd. He is the one who will protect us from the enemy. He is the one who will lead us through the valley. He is the one who nurtures us and cares for us, feeding us, disciplining us, and showing us the way to the next mountain top. His name is Jesus and he is the Great Shepherd. It is away from the herd that we struggle and become easy prey for predators of life. It is when we wonder from the fold that we unknowingly stray into the enemy’s hands. It is only when we are in his presence, under the watchful eye of the Great Shepherd that we are under his protection. Stay in with the herd. Not only is there security in numbers, but there is sustenance of life and care of the shepherd.

God reminded me of this message and lesson this week. He also reminded me of others. This is a recollection of these lessons as God reveals them to me through Scripture, mediation, prayer, and discussion with other believers. It is for your immense love for Karen and me, your patience with me as I learn these lessons and they become a part of my life, and for the gracious favor you continue to pour upon me that I thank you Father.

I pray that these lessons will somehow encourage you and provide food for thought. Don't hesitate to comment. I am most interested in your comments.

1 Comments:

At 5/04/2005 8:48 PM, Blogger Grant said...

Hey dude...man, I've been completely hosed these last two weeks and thanks for some perspective.

We need to hook up via the phone...

I'll email you my cell digits...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home