.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

In the Midst of the Valley

Picture courtesy of PD Photo

In the Midst of the Valley is about being in the midst of so much stuff it's hard to see the sky. Ever feel like that? What we don't realize, sometimes, is that there are incredible treasures to be found in the valley! This blog was started because I beleive that the greatest potential for spiritual growth is in the valley - not on the mountain top. These are lessons God has taught me as I go through the valley season of my life. May He use them to minister to you. Mike

Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Affects of the Valley Experience

One thing about the valley experience is that we don't always know the affects the experience will have on us until we are neck deep in the experience. Look at it this way - I didn't know how much I would miss Karen until I so far in the valley; to the place of no return. I didn't know how much this would hurt, until I ran head first, eyes squinted, muscles tightened into the valley experience.

Let me tell you . . . it hurts. It hurts bad. At times I feel as though a part of me has been amputated and the nerves left raw and unexposed. There's nothing that makes them feel better. Sure, I know Karen is in a better place, she's worshipping her God, she healed, she's yadda, yadda, yadda. I know, I know, I know! But that doesn't make the hurt go away or get any better. I'm not angry and God. I'm not angry at anyone here on this alien planet. I'm just hurting.

Here's what I do know. God loves me more than the pain I'm feeling. He is faithful. He will never leave me and he will not jack with me. I can count on him and his grace. I also know that his grace is enough and that through my pain, my weaknesses, his power will rest perfectly on me. I also know that he's big enough to handle my issues and more. If he wasn't, you wouldn't have a chance. My stuff would overwhelm him and he wouldn't have time for yours and vice-versa.

So, what do I do now? Great question. I will continue to trust the heart of God. Even if I can't always see it, it will trust it. I will continue to learn from my experience. I will continue to depend on my Shepherd and allow the flock to come around me. I will continue to acknowledge the pain and allow God's perfect power to rest on me.

What affects is your valley experience having on you? Have you admitted them to God and, more importantly, to yourself. I once heard that if you are not honest about how you feel the only person you're fooling is yourself, God already knows how you feel. Yeah, the valley experience sucks sometimes. But, remember, it is here that we find the greatest potential for growth.

MS

3 Comments:

At 5/17/2005 3:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mike,
I am so glad to have found this page. If a 50 year old can learn a new trick - I will try this blogging. I learned on the internet today that it means web log - or short blog.
I like keeping up with you and how you are doing. I used to do it through Karen. And you were my last assignment that she gave me. I did not realize how much she had asked me to do over the weeks, until after she died. I think I have completed everything except for making sure you are okay and Randy and I see that as an ongoing project over the next several months/years whatever.
I too, miss my friend. I have allowed myself to feel sad and to grieve. I know when I am really sad because I quit humming while I work. I know one day God will give me my songs back. But for now I just listen to them in my head.

 
At 5/17/2005 3:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know what I did - but I did not finish my first blog. Leave it to the old lady to mess it up.
Make sure you are checking the cwbc site as people are still leaving messages for you.
Hope you are still riding your bike. Karen said you needed it and were a lot easier to live with when you rode.
Know I am going to try to post this- wish I know what I did a couple of minutes ago!!!

 
At 5/17/2005 8:16 PM, Blogger Grant said...

Mike,

you've got a place to come up and chill and ride in LR when you need it/want it.

I don't know why God choose for us to cross paths again the week before Karen died - He's weird like that - but know you don't walk alone.

And I hope for now - that's enough.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home