.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

In the Midst of the Valley

Picture courtesy of PD Photo

In the Midst of the Valley is about being in the midst of so much stuff it's hard to see the sky. Ever feel like that? What we don't realize, sometimes, is that there are incredible treasures to be found in the valley! This blog was started because I beleive that the greatest potential for spiritual growth is in the valley - not on the mountain top. These are lessons God has taught me as I go through the valley season of my life. May He use them to minister to you. Mike

Thursday, June 29, 2006

The Power of Prayer

"After they prayed, the place where they were meeting was shaken. And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and spoke the word of God boldly."
Acts 4:31

God has really been speaking to me about the subject of prayer. And as I have been reading through the Acts of the Apostles I keep seeing how important prayer is to the work of the Kingdom and the lives & ministries of the apostles. We find this played out in Acts 4.

One thing that keeps coming back to me is the fact that I don't think they experienced or practiced prayer as we know it today. NOPE!! For the majority of us - we don't have stinkin' clue about prayer. Especially when I hear phrases like, "Let's have a quick word of prayer and we'll get to the business at hand" - often heard in church meetings held by church "leaders." As though God is some kind of drive-by prayer chapel like the wedding chapels you find in Vegas with an Elvis ready to lock two love-birds in blissful matrimony.

I don't think "quick" and "prayer" ever entered their mind in the same sentence. I think there was a deep, deep desire within them for what they prayed and asked God for. I believe they, unlike many Christians today, wanted to be filled with the Holy Spirit, and His power, so they could speak the Word of God boldy, because knew they were going to continue to tell, share, and preach the gospel to anyone and everyone. In a very short time they had come from a scattered, timid group of followers to a force to be reckoned with. Prayer, power, and preaching had become a way of life for these new believers. With that came a longing and praying for something they really wanted - power to speak boldly.

I think we often ask for such things from God for the wrong reasons. We are enamored with the idea and by-products of revival - lives changed, more people in church, everyone lovin' on each other, everything hunky-dorey. But I don't know if we are in love with real revival and what it takes to experience it. So why would God blow through our lives as He did those in Acts 2? Do we really want to be empowered by God to do great and mighty things for Him? Do we realize the cost we will/may have to pay to receive such power? Do we realize the sacrifices we may have to suffer for the cause of Christ to get what we are praying for? Do we REALLY want what we ask for?

I think if God were to grant our desires and He were to bring revival among His people, we would be very much surprised at the changes it would bring. I think there would be a change in how we see people - ready to love your mother-in-law or the homosexual? I think there would be a change in priorities - children in small groups learning God's Word rather than allstars? I think there would be a difference in how we worship and how men lead their families. I think the way we see our possessions would be different - ready to sell the truck to give to someone who has a need?

The question I keep coming back to is, "Do we REALLY want what we are asking for?"

Do we REALLY want to be different? Do we REALLY want to be used by God? Do we REALLY want to give up stuff for Him?

The better question is, DO I?
Mike

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home