.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

In the Midst of the Valley

Picture courtesy of PD Photo

In the Midst of the Valley is about being in the midst of so much stuff it's hard to see the sky. Ever feel like that? What we don't realize, sometimes, is that there are incredible treasures to be found in the valley! This blog was started because I beleive that the greatest potential for spiritual growth is in the valley - not on the mountain top. These are lessons God has taught me as I go through the valley season of my life. May He use them to minister to you. Mike

Thursday, December 22, 2005

Finishing Touches

Last weekend I was in Waxahachie and Midlothian, Texas. I grew up in Waxahachie and Karen grew up in Midlothian (they are only 10 miles apart). Our families live there and I went to spend Christmas with them.

On Friday my Dad and I got to hang out together. In the midst of our hanging out we went to the cemetary in Midlothian where Karen is buried. I went to see her headstone. Her sister, Jedon, and brother, Junior, really did all the leg work to design it and get it in place. And they did a GREAT job.



It was kind of wierd. I knew she wasn't in that hole covered by dirt and acorns. She was in heaven dancin' with Jesus and worshipping God. But this was where I said "Good-bye." This was the last time I was with most of our family and friends gathered together to celebrate her life and say "So long." I guess it just really hit me when I saw her headstone.

She would have liked it very much. It was simple - like Karen - and it included her favorite verse - Proverbs 3:5-6. It was the verse God gave us as we began our season of ministry together. He gave it to us separately, but one night with the young singles of Legacy Drive I shared this verse with the group. Karen, both disappointed and excited, shared that God gave HER that verse that week as well. So from that point it was our passage.

When I walked away I was OK. Dad was there, life went on, and I had a great weekend. It was like seeing Karen's headstone and visiting her final resting place were finishing touches of saying goodbye to a wonderful woman. She's still missed, still loved, and still in my memory. But warm is her place in my heart and in my memory!

Maybe you need to put some "finishing touches" on your valley. It may not be easy. It may raise some difficult emotions. It may even be something you just can't face right now. That' s OK. Just know that at some point in time you will need to put some "finishing touches" on your valley. May you have a "dad" or a friend who will be there for you, like mine was. Thanks Dad!!

Topping off the valley,
Mike

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home