.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

In the Midst of the Valley

Picture courtesy of PD Photo

In the Midst of the Valley is about being in the midst of so much stuff it's hard to see the sky. Ever feel like that? What we don't realize, sometimes, is that there are incredible treasures to be found in the valley! This blog was started because I beleive that the greatest potential for spiritual growth is in the valley - not on the mountain top. These are lessons God has taught me as I go through the valley season of my life. May He use them to minister to you. Mike

Sunday, December 04, 2005

It Happens to the Worst (& Best) of Us

The other night I went to see the movie Rent. Before you say - or even THINK anything - this was one I should have checked into before going. But it was one of those nights where Mom and I were looking for something to see and because of time we chose this one.

Rent is a musical. There are more words set to music that actually spoken. It was, at its basic foundation - a theatrical production put on film. I'm not going into the summary of the movie, the summary is not what caught my attention. It is what happens in the movie that caught my attention.

Death is all over this movie. From the girl friend of the rocker dude who dies from drugs/HIV, to the many who are struggling with aids - gays and straights alike. It was during the portrayal of Angel's struggle with and eventual death from AIDs related illness that it really - I mean really hit me - we all die. We ALL face death.

Whether it's due to some tragic circumstance like an auto accident, like my cousin, to murder, to old age and our bodies just finally wearing out like my Grandparents, to some tragic and incurrable disease like Angel - like Karen. Death is real!

Want to know what else hit me? Everyone who faces death also face the realization that one day they face the fact that they are either going to heaven or to hell. Like death, it's not an option.

Want to know something else? It hurts me that there are people who are dying and going to hell because of the reputation of the church - of the flock. People won't come to the church because it's condemning, judgemental, hypocritical, unloving, and fake. We talk a good talk, but we walk a lousy walk. Don't think so? When's the last time you sat with someone whose lifestyle you didn't agree with and just talked - about life, likes, dislikes, struggles (this is one for another post - we all have 'em), and battles overcome? When was the last time you walked with the dirty people? When was the last time you hugged them, hung out with them, didn't turn a cold shoulder or glance in their direction?

You're not alone. I count myself in this group of believers who are great at talking - I know what the Bible says. But walking it is another matter in and of itself. Jesus talked very little, but walked an incredible walk. Check out Matthew 9:9-13, Luke 8:1-2 - it seems that Jesus was constantly surrounded by people who were hurting, sick, "crazy", and led mistake-ridden lives, but that didn't stop him from loving them. . . from meeting their needs. . . from caring for them.

The valley if full of people like this. It's also full of people like us. Wait a minute. . .aren't those people the same as us? Aren't we all facing death? Aren't we all facing heaven or hell? Aren't we all sinners? Aren't we all in need of grace and redemption? Aren't we all struggling through life? OK, some of you "healthy" people have it figured out. I don't. I'm trying, but I don't have it figured out. Neither did guys like Paul, David, Hosea, Moses, Abraham, Peter, and a host of others throughout the history of God's Kingdom on earth. Only one person had it figured out and He's sitting at the right hand of the Father after walking out of a tomb. You do that, then I will give you your props.

Until then, let's come around each other and help one another through the valley of life.

Facing impending death,
Mike

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home