.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

In the Midst of the Valley

Picture courtesy of PD Photo

In the Midst of the Valley is about being in the midst of so much stuff it's hard to see the sky. Ever feel like that? What we don't realize, sometimes, is that there are incredible treasures to be found in the valley! This blog was started because I beleive that the greatest potential for spiritual growth is in the valley - not on the mountain top. These are lessons God has taught me as I go through the valley season of my life. May He use them to minister to you. Mike

Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Struggles

When I began this blog it was mainly centered around my journey in the valley of dealing with Karen's death. I recently realized that not all valleys are centered around such deep struggles. I knew that, but it just didn't occur to me as in "a ha!"

Many of us, probably all of us, deal with daily struggles. . .our own little personal struggles. I do. Everyday I wake up I struggle with something - pride, arrogance, demanding, a quick tongue, lust (yeah, I'm such a guy), and some I probably don't even realize. God reminded me that it's these little struggles than lead to a life of victory or a life of defeat. I desire to live a victorious life, but often times I fall and stumble and my struggles overwhelm me.

In Romans 7:13-25, Paul shares with us his own personal struggle - it's mine too. It's the struggle of the flesh against the Spirit. Paul says that he often fell in defeat, but he doesn't stay there. He knows there is victory. That victory doesn't come in our will, ability or our conscious decision to do right. For if that's all there is then defeat overtakes us every time. No, Paul tells us that victory comes in the person of Jesus Christ
I've tried everything and nothing helps. I'm at the end of my rope. Is there no one who can do anything for me? Isn't that the real question?

The answer, thank God, is that Jesus Christ can and does. He acted to set things right in this life of contradictions where I want to serve God with all my heart and mind, but am pulled by the influence of sin to do something totally different. (v. 24-25)

Ohhhh baby!! Thank you Paul for reminding me, and everyone else, that we don't have to live a life of defeat. Thank you for reminding us that there is victory, even over the daily struggles we get up with, live life with, do our jobs with, do family time with, love our families with, and go to bed with in the person of Jesus Christ.

Today I can choose to live in defeat and wallow in the mire of self-pity or I can get up, wrap myself up in the presence and power of Jesus and live a victorious life. . .daily conquering my struggles. You can too!

Won't you choose victory over defeat?
Mike

1 Comments:

At 5/01/2007 1:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I sought my God and my God I could not find, I sought my soul and my soul eluded me, I sought my brother to serve him in his need, And I found all three – my God, my soul and thee …..

 

Post a Comment

<< Home