.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

In the Midst of the Valley

Picture courtesy of PD Photo

In the Midst of the Valley is about being in the midst of so much stuff it's hard to see the sky. Ever feel like that? What we don't realize, sometimes, is that there are incredible treasures to be found in the valley! This blog was started because I beleive that the greatest potential for spiritual growth is in the valley - not on the mountain top. These are lessons God has taught me as I go through the valley season of my life. May He use them to minister to you. Mike

Saturday, September 16, 2006

Equilibrium

I am NOT, let me repeat, am NOT a person of balance. All my life I have given my all to whatever I do, often at the expense of something else. I think it's a combination of my drive to be the best, the fear of missing out on something, and the pursuit of constant affirmation. Whatever the reason(s) my tendency is to completely jump into something with both feet.

Yesterday I was having my quiet time and encountered this struggle - quiet, meditating, writing with God or getting up and doing the things that needed to be done.

For some of you it's a no brainer - time with God. For others it would be getting up and doing. For me it's difficult to find balance - equlibrium. I don't know how to quite explain it so those on either end of this continuum can understand. Let me see if I can help you guys out.

I love hanging with God. I love reading His Word. I love just sitting and thinking about things with God in mind. I love writing. I love talking to God.

I also love getting up and getting stuff done. Though I am a procrastinator by nature, when the time comes I HAVE to get things done. That's the OCD in me. They will drive me crazy until I get them done. Yesterday was cleaning house, having to register the cars, laundry, and other things that have been put off to the point that they drive me crazy.

So what did I do? I had my time with God. . .wishing it could last longer than it did. Then I got the house cleaned, laundry done, loaded up the Harley to drive downtown Mobile to register the cars, hanging out at Barnes & Nobles, the mall, then to see a movie with some friends, and wrap up the night at Starbucks.

Let me ask, is it important to find balance? Is it ok to move from one end to the other at times? Maybe so, just so long as you don't remain there. I think, knowing my tendency, this is my greatest danger. So I must continue to wrestle with this.

Now. . .am I the only one who struggles with these two things? Am I the only one in the valley that hates trying to find this equlibrium. . .this balance? What about you? To which end do you lean - time with God or get stuff done? I'm sure there are some of you who serve as my hero - you don't struggle with finding equilibrium. For you it's all about balance. Congratulations!!

For the rest of you let me know what you think and where are you in this battle.

Mike

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home