.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

In the Midst of the Valley

Picture courtesy of PD Photo

In the Midst of the Valley is about being in the midst of so much stuff it's hard to see the sky. Ever feel like that? What we don't realize, sometimes, is that there are incredible treasures to be found in the valley! This blog was started because I beleive that the greatest potential for spiritual growth is in the valley - not on the mountain top. These are lessons God has taught me as I go through the valley season of my life. May He use them to minister to you. Mike

Thursday, September 14, 2006

Pursuing the Heart of God

My-o-my, how time flies when you get caught up in the business of life. Sorry gang, but that seems to be what has happened to me this past week. Hopefully it's all behind me and I can share some lessons God has recently been speaking into my life.

Take a look at 1 Timothy 6:11-12

But you, man of God, flee from all this, and pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, endurance and gentleness. Fight the good fight of the faith. Take hold of the eternal life to which you were called when you made your good confession in the presence of many witnesses.

There is some good stuff in here. First, Paul commands us to flee from all this - in previous verses he speaks to greed and false doctrine (see here). Both of which moves, or sways, our focus away from God and places it squarely on us.

* * * Valley experiencers - might want to take a look to see if one of these might be the reason for your valley right now. * * *

Then Paul contrasts these with where our focus should be. I love the word he uses - PURSUE - actively chase - these things:
  • Righteousness
  • Godliness
  • Faith
  • Love
  • Endurance
  • Gentleness
Then we are to fight the good fight of the faith. We are to persevere and trust God. We are to cling to our faith in God.

Next we're to "take hold of the ternal life to which you were called." Hang on - put the death grip on your hope, your assuarnce, in the eternal life you have in Christ Jesus.

It's about our focus - my focus. . .your focus. There are so many things that can be a distraction to you and me that shouldn't be distractions. If I want to maintain my focus on God, then I'm to make the things of God a part of my life. Things like . .
  • Righteousness
  • Godliness
  • Faith
  • Love
  • Endurance
  • Gentleness
  • Fighting the good fight - standing up for my faith
  • Grabbing hold of the eternal life - the hope - I have in Christ Jesus
As I look back on this list I see Karen's life right in front of my eyes. She was such a woman of righteousness, godliness, and faith. She loved God and everyone she came in contact with. Her endurance and gentleness in the midst of her valley was so obvious. She definitely fought the good fight as she pointed us toward Christ and gave God the glory in spite of her circumstances. Lastly, she clung to the eternal life promised her through her Lord and Savior. Thank you, Father, for such a wonderful example of a woman who pursued the heart of God.

What about you? Do you exemplify these qualities in your life? What's keeping you from being the example of these qualities? Karen didn't begin exhibiting these qualities in her life when she was diagnosed with cancer. They were always a part of her life with Christ. I do think her battle with cancer just brought them to light. That's what the valley does. It brings our true character to the forefront for others to see.

What do others see in you?

Fighting the good fight,
Mike

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home